last posts

Prams a Go Go

Well.. as any new to be parent can tell you, getting the “stuff” you “need” for a first baby can be totally mind boggling. I remember receiving this long list of items from friends and colleagues of “must haves” and I just didn’t understand half of what was on the list. I got it all. And probably only needed a 1/3. Welcome to parenthood.
Though a lot was a waste of money, at least it was only a pound here or there. When it came to biggest expenses – car seat, prams and cots I wanted to get it right. I had heard of several friends who started of with “pram a”, then bought “pram b” and finally was only really happy with “pram c”. Eeek. Expensive decisions badly made. And yet, I don’t blame them. You its so bamboozling going into a baby department and trying to understand what actually need – especially when you have never had a baby before. What would be good and what wouldn’t?
Prams a Go Go
My basic tactic was to talk to other parents – and ask them, why they liked the pram they had and what they didn’t like. In the end we settled for a Maclaren. The Maclaren seemed to be the buggy that everyone ended up with eventually anyway. They may have started with a “Bumble bee” or an “Apple” or whatever they were all called, but almost always ended up with a “run around Maclaren” in the house. So why didn’t get one in the first place? I don’t they just aren’t as stunning, I guess. But they are certainly practical. Especially if you get one of the “better versions”, where baby can lie flat and is therefore suitable from birth.
Later we did get a Phil & Teds too – when my second child was born. I could have started with a Phil & Teds, I know, but THAT felt like tempting fate – getting a double buggy when you have one child? Who says we could have another. But once the eldest had outgrown the need for a buggy, we sold the Phil & Teds at a good price and resorted to our trusted Maclaren. Hooray.
So. My advice? Keep it simple. Think practical and how you will use your buggy. Don’t be lured by “branding” or “pretty designs”. Save your pennies and get what is really useful.
Comments



Font Size
+
16
-
lines height
+
2
-