last posts

Stop spending too much time in your head

99% of all thoughts are useless but still control your life.


Darius Forks

I know something about you without knowing you. I bet you spend a lot of time in your head.
You know, think, worry, strain, drop - call it what you want. I call it a busy mind. And with what?
99% of your thoughts are useless. William James is the best:
"Many people think they think when they rearrange their prejudices."
All my life I've been obsessed with practical matters. Practical philosophy, practical knowledge, practical books, practical work and practical advice.
This idea comes from pragmatism, a philosophical tradition that began in the nineteenth century in America. Charles Sanders Peirce, who was a professor at Harvard University, is considered the "father of pragmatism."

Stop spending too much time in your head

But it was William James, a trained doctor who turned a philosopher, that really set the philosophy.
About thoughts, anxiety and stress, William James says:
"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one idea over another."
Pragmatism believes that the mind is an instrument. Your mind must work for you, not against you. People who don't know their minds, they don't think it is possible.
They say, "I can only think of these things."
Well, you can with enough practice. It is a skill.
In other words: you have the power to determine your opinion. Or you can choose not to think.
This is one of the most important and practical things you can learn in life. Before I learned that skill, I used to spend hours and hours in my head.
Just think how much you think.
"I wonder what my boss thinks?"
"What happens if I fail and lose my job?"
"do you love me?"
"I think he doesn't care about me."
"I keep failing."
"Why does my life suck?"
"Why is my life wonderful, and the lives of others are not?"
"What if I got cancer?"
"I don't care about my business. Is there something wrong with me?"
"I can't finish anything. What's my problem?"
And the list goes on. This is all real. These are things people tell me when I ask them about their anxiety.
You know what these ideas do for you? Feelings of guilt, anger, and suffering.
I have one question for you: What is the practical use of your ideas?
Yes? I am waiting. Is there still an answer? exactly.
Ideas have no use. 99% of them.
Any ideas useful?
Think about how to solve problems. The problem is just an unanswered question. Put your mind to use and think about how to solve problems. There are many of these on this earth.
Understanding knowledge. This means this: try to understand knowledge and think about how to use this knowledge to improve your life, career, work, relationships, etc.
This is. You can ignore every other idea.
If you are constantly thinking, it is because you haven't trained your mind yet. You have to get out of your head.
If not, you will go mentally. Everyone will. No exception.
Also, you may think so much that you are losing your life. Did you notice the sun's rays this morning when I woke up? Or raindrops? Did you notice the smell of your coffee? Have you ever felt the texture of your pills?
If your answer is no, then you definitely need to get out of your head. Stop thinking and start feeling.
Now, you might think: "How do I train to stop thinking about useless thoughts?"
Awareness.
From here you start. Every time you start to drift, be aware of it. Just watch your brain. Get out of yourself and just notice the crazy nonsense you're thinking of.
Do not judge. Do not think you are stupid. If you do, then you think again.
No, what you want to do is say this to yourself: "Oh, that's a nice idea. Now, let's get back to reality."
"If you can change your mind, you can change your life."
- William James
Are you back in reality? Do you feel that your eyes are reading letters on your screen? Do you feel your phone in your hand? Are you thinking about how to apply this information to your life?
Great. You use your mind, not the other way around. Now, keep using your brain.
Because I'm going to tell you this: It is the most powerful tool on earth.
Comments



Font Size
+
16
-
lines height
+
2
-